About study permit extensions

If you're planning to study in Canada past your study permit's expiry date, you must extend it before it expires.

When should I apply?

It's recommended that you apply 3 to 4 months before your current study permit expires.

If you must provide biometrics (fingerprints and a photo), apply earlier to allow for this extra step. 

Important: Study permits can only be extended in Canada

How to extend your study permit

If your permit expires after IRCC receives your application

If you and your family members’ immigration documents (e.g. study permit, or work permit, visitor record, etc.) expires after Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has received your application to extend your current documents, you will still be considered a temporary resident of Canada until a decision about your application is made. This is known as "implied status".

Staying in Canada with "implied status"

With implied status, you may continue studying (and working, if eligible), as long as you meet the conditions of your study permit while you remain in Canada.

If you leave Canada with “implied status” 

If you leave Canada while you are on implied status, you may re-enter, provided that you:
  • Have a valid TRV, or
  • Are from a TRV-exempt country, or
  • Are from a TRV-required country AND have solely visited the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon. [Note: TRV-required nationals are exempt from needing a TRV based under immigration regulation, R190(3)(f)(ii)]  

In the above cases, you may re-enter Canada but cannot resume study and work until your application for renewal is granted.

See traveling outside Canada for more information.

When you re-enter Canada at an airport or land border, you must present documents that provide proof of your application, such as:
  • Copy of your application
  • Copy of the fee payment receipt
  • Copy of the confirmation of submission available in your MyCIC account from IRCC

If your study permit expires and you haven't applied for an extension

If your permit expires before Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) receives your extension application, you will be “out of status”.

What to do if you are out of status

  1. You must stop studying and working immediately.
    • You are not authorized to attend classes or work while you are out of status.
  2. See International Student Advising.
    • You have 90 days from the day you went out of status to apply for restoration.
    • An International Student Advisor should review your application before you submit it.
  3. Get a new study permit. You have two options, both of which are expensive and will disrupt your studies:
    1. You can apply to restore your immigration status.
    2. If you have not applied to extend your study permit and it expired more than 90 days ago, you will have to apply outside Canada for a new study permit. You may also be barred from applying for a study permit for up to 6 months.

International Student Guide

Find everything you need to know about life as an international student at UBC's Vancouver campus.

View the guide

Get help

If you still have questions 

International Student Advisors are available to help. 

International Student Advising

Talk to an advisor

International Student Advisors are Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) who can help.

When emailing us, include the following information in the email:

  1. Your student number in the subject line
  2. Your name
  3. Your citizenship(s)
  4. All permit and visa expiration dates (if applicable)
  5. Currently in Canada (YES or NO)
  6. If you request specific assistance, please provide detailed information including applicable documents, such as a rejection letter
UBC Life Building
1200-6138 Student Union Blvd.
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1


9:30 am - 4:00 pm
9:30 am - 4:00 pm
9:30 am - 4:00 pm
9:30 am - 4:00 pm
9:30 am - 4:00 pm