Tutorial: How to apply for your post-graduation work permit from within Canada

Step-by-step instructions, required documents, and other important information about applying for a post-graduation work permit from within Canada

6. After you receive your work permit

Check your work permit

Once you receive your post-graduation work permit, check the length of the work permit to make sure it was issued correctly:

  • If your program of study was at least eight months and less than two years in length, your work permit should match the length of your program
  • If your program of study was two years or more in length, or a graduate program that was 16-23 months in length with no scheduled breaks, you should receive a three-year work permit

Contact International Student Advising if you believe the officer made a mistake with the length of your work permit.

Exception: Your work permit cannot be issued for longer than your passport; therefore, a shorter work permit may be issued based on your passport expiry date. If this is the case, you must first extend your passport, and then apply to extend your work permit for the remainder of the time for which you are eligible.

Keep your documents up to date

Keep your immigration and health insurance documents up to date by completing the following important steps:

  1. Keep track of the expiry date of your work permit. You must either leave Canada or apply for another immigration document before your work permit expires.
  2. Apply for or extend your Social Insurance Number (SIN). You need a valid a SIN to be paid for work in Canada. 
  3. Be sure to extend your Medical Services Plan (MSP)
  4. Apply for a new Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada (if required), OR
  5. Check that you have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) that is valid until the same date or a future date. An eTA is required to re-enter Canada for citizens of specific countries.

If your contact information changes after submitting your application, be sure to update it via IRCC’s webform.

Leaving and entering Canada

Every time you enter Canada, be prepared to prove at the border that you can support yourself financially (that is, carry an updated bank statement). If you don’t have a job, bring proof that you are actively looking for work (your resume, list of jobs you are applying for, etc.)