The documents you need to provide with your study permit application vary according to your country of citizenship and other factors.
To create your document checklist, decide how you will apply and follow the corresponding instructions.
If you are applying online (recommended)
- Create a MyCIC account on the IRCC website. You’ll be prompted to answer a set of questions.
- For help creating an account or answering the IRCC questionnaire, download our PDF guide:
- When you have completed the questionnaire, you’ll be guided to a screen entitled "Your document checklist" that lists your required supporting documents
Important: The above checklist generated by IRCC does not include all the documents required by your country’s visa office.
- Get the full list of documents required by your country's visa office:
- Go to the IRCC website and select your country/territory from the drop-down menu (located in the "Apply on paper" section).
- Click "Get documents" and then select "Visa office instructions" (the second link). This will launch a PDF specifying requirements for your visa office
If you are applying by mail
- Go to the "Apply on paper" section of the IRCC website.
- Select your country/territory from the drop-down menu and click “Get documents”.
- You’ll see a list of links:
- Click on the first link to review a general document checklist.
- Click on the second link to see visa office instructions for your country. These instructions include a document checklist showing additional supporting documents required by your country's visa office.
- The remaining links in the list will open the forms listed in the general document checklist.
Depending on your situation (e.g. your age, marital status, etc.), you may not need to provide every document listed in either checklist. The next step in the tutorial provides information on typical documents required.
If you are applying at a Visa Application Centre
If your city has a Visa Application Centre listed on the IRCC website, follow the same steps as applying by mail to create your document checklist.
If you are applying at the border
Only US citizens and permanent residents, and residents of Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon, can apply at the border.
If you are eligible for this option, follow the same steps as applying by mail to create your document checklist.