Tutorial: How to extend your study permit from within Canada

Step-by-step instructions, required documents, and other important information about extending your study permit from within Canada.

4. Fill out the application form

Your application form is an important part of your study permit extension. Missing or incorrect information can negatively impact the outcome of your application. Below are five steps to help create a comprehensive application.

i. Download the newest form(s)

The IRCC makes periodic updates to their application forms. Always make sure you are using the most current application form(s) by downloading the application form(s) directly from your online MyCIC Document Checklist.  

MyCIC Document Checklist

a. Download the applicable form(s) by putting your cursor over the document name. You’ll see a note that says “(Opens a new window).” This indicates a form can be downloaded.

b. If you see a Please wait…” message when you're downloading a form:

  • Click on the download arrow at the top right to save the file onto your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader.
  • If you do not see the arrow, move your cursor to the top of the screen and it will appear. 
“Please wait…” message

ii. Review your application form(s)

Required for all applicants: Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a student [IMM5709] form

iii. Get help with commonly asked questions

What is a UCI?

UCI stands for “Unique Client Identifier,” also known as “Client ID.” It is an eight or ten-digit number on your study permit; your UCI has this format: 0000-0000 or 00-0000-0000.

Unique Client Identifier

How do I fill out the "Current mailing address" section?

This section is very important as the officer will use your address to mail you your study permit. You may not receive your study permit due to an inaccurate or incomplete mailing address.

  • A P.O. Box is a lockable mailbox located in a post office station. Your mailbox number is not a P.O. Box number.
  • If you live in a residence on campus, you may have an assigned mailbox number. You can provide your mail box number in brackets after the street name; for example: “mailbox: your mailbox number”.
  • If you do not have an assigned mailbox number, you can put your apartment number under Apt/Unit.
  • A street number is the main number on the outside of a building. Some “street names” also contain numbers, such as West 10th Ave, but this number is a street name.
  • If you are unsure of your mailing address or may move while your application is being processed, you can write a mailing address of a trusted friend. Please ensure that your mail can be received by your friend securely if the mail is under your name. You are welcome to use International Student Advising but you must come in person to check if your mail has arrived. We cannot guarantee your document will be received, and it will be publicly accessible in our office.
Current mailing address

What is a document number?

A document number appears on official immigration documents (e.g. study permits). It is usually printed in black ink as a letter (an "F" for study permits) followed by numbers.

Document number screenshot

What is UBC’s Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number?

UBC's DLI is O19330231062. It starts with the letter "O" not the number zero.

UBC Designated Learning Institution

How do I answer the “Duration of expected study” field?

In the "From" field: type in the date that you will submit your application

In the "To" field: Type in the date of your estimated completion plus 90 days. This 90-day period coincides with the timeframe to apply for a post-graduation work permit.

  • For example, if you will complete your studies in April 2020, you may write July 31, 2020, in the “To” field. 
Duration of expected study

How do I fill out the "The cost of my studies" section?

Provide information on your expenses including your tuition, rent and food, and other estimated costs for one year. You can use these two cost calculators to help you:

Cost of my studies

How do I fill out the "Funds available" section?

The amount you indicate in “Funds available for my stay (CAD)” should match the total amount of funds you are showing as proof.

  • For example, if you are showing a combination of $3,345 CAD in your bank account, $2,000 CAD from your scholarship and $7,000 CAD from your parents, your total amount will be $12,345 CAD. Remember, you must prove a minimum of $10,000 Canadian dollars.
Funds available section

How do I fill out the "Education” section?

The information you provide in this section helps the IRCC have a fuller picture of your current post-secondary education.

  • Indicate ‘yes’ to the education section as you are currently studying at UBC. Type in the current year and month in the “To” field.
  • Type in your current program (e.g., Bachelor of Arts) at UBC.
  • You may include additional studies at the post-secondary level (e.g., university, college, and apprenticeship training, etc.)
  • If you need more space, provide additional info in a separate document and upload this document in the "Letter of Explanation" section.
Education section

How do I fill out the “Employment" section?

The information you provide in this section helps the IRCC have a fuller picture of your activities within the last ten years.

Include the following activities from the past ten years, with the most recent activities listed first, whether you did them in or outside of Canada:

  • For all students, the first section under employment is “Current activity”; therefore, fill your current status as a student. If you are currently employed, fill your employment in the next section. 
  • Part-time jobs(s)
  • Full-time job(s)
  • Internship(s)/Co-op(s)/Practicum(s)
  • If you need more space, provide additional info in a separate document and upload this document in the "Letter of Explanation" section.
Employment section

How do I answer "Background" questions?

2(a) Have you remained beyond the validity of your status, attended school without authorization or worked without authorization in Canada?

2(b) Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?

2(c) Background information: Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?

You must provide honest answers to these questions. Please speak with International Student Advising if you answered “Yes” to question 2(a) or 2(b) so that you are fully aware of any implications.

Important: If you have applied for a study permit, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), or a work permit, whether it is approved or rejected, you must report it to the IRCC by checking the box "Yes" on 2(c) and writing down when you applied for each type of document in the box in addition to any details.

How can I sign the [IMM5709] form if I apply online?

You do not need to print or sign your name in the signature field on the bottom of page 5 of [IMM5709] if applying online. Simply validate, save and upload the form without signing.

  • You will be prompted to electronically sign your application later in the online application process after you have uploaded all documents.

iv. Validate your form

When you finish filling out your application form, click the blue “Validate” button (found on the first or last page). This will highlight any missing information required on your application.

  • You can make changes after the application is successfully validated. You can edit and validate as many times as you need.
  • Remember to save and upload the final form.

Once your application has been successfully validated it will show the following:

Validate your form barcode

If you don’t see any barcodes when you validate your application please visit the CIC help page

v. Take screenshots as you apply

It is a good practice to take screenshots as you apply just in case there are issues after you submit your application. You are welcome to take screenshots of all screens; however, these are the most important:

  1. The "Your document checklist" page after all your documents have been successfully uploaded to your MyCIC account.
  2. The "Acknowledgment of receipt" page after the application has been submitted.
  3. After uploading/submitting any "After-the-fact" documents that an IRCC officer has requested after your original application has been submitted.

Save your screenshots to a safe place where you can access them easily. 

How to take screenshots