Tutorial: How to extend your study permit from within Canada

Step-by-step instructions, required documents, and other important information about extending your study permit from within Canada.

6. After you receive your permit

Keep your immigration and health insurance documents up-to-date by completing the following important steps:

  1. Add the expiry date of your new study permit in the Reminder System on the Student Service Centre website.
  2. Extend your Medical Services Plan (MSP).
  3. Extend your Social Insurance Number (SIN) if you have one. You need to meet eligibility criteria and have a valid SIN to work in Canada.
  4. Apply for a new Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada (if your country of citizenship requires one).

If your contact information changes after submitting your application, be sure to update it via IRCC’s webform.