International Student Guide

International Student Advising is here to support you throughout your entire journey.

If you're travelling to Canada

Coming from abroad

Before arranging any travels, check if you're eligible to enter Canada, prepare documents to support essential travel, create and submit a self-isolation plan, and know what to do upon arrival at the airport or border.

Go to the guide

Self-isolation support

UBC provides on-campus, self-isolation accommodation and meal packages for students travelling to UBC from outside Canada. Fee-based self-isolation accommodation packages are also available to any members of the UBC community.

Browse options

Illustration of suitcases, clipboard of checklist, and ID cards

COVID-19 FAQ for international students

Find out how COVID-19 impacts immigration, work eligibility, and health insurance.

Before you start at UBC

Your guide to resources while you're at UBC

Immigration resources

Learn about the immigration documents and information you may need during your studies.

Working while studying

Whether you're hoping to get a part-time job or work after graduation, there are important things to know.

    Planning ahead

    There are important things to consider before you make any major decisions during your degree.


    Understand how taxes work in Canada and get a SIN for awards and scholarships, or to work.

    Immigration document support

    Step-by-step tutorials

    Browse the complete list of tutorials for  instructions on a range of topics, such as applying for or amending your study permit, BC Medical Services Plan, and more.

    View the list

    Online application reviews

    Before applying, review your study permit extension, temporary resident visa, or post-graduation work permit application with an International Student Advisor.

    Register online

    Get immigration reminders

    Add your document expiry dates to the confidential UBC Reminder System and get notifications for when you need to extend your documents. 

    Learn more

    If you still have questions

    International Student Advising

    International Student Advisors are Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) or Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) who can help support you in your experience as a UBC international student.

    Connect with an advisor

    Other UBC support and resources

    UBC staff are here for you throughout your studies. See resources and services for help with academics, money, health, and more.